People don’t wind up in hospital emergency rooms only for life-threatening conditions. Easing pain, preventing further damage, and stabilizing a condition are all valid reasons. A dental emergency isn’t usually life-threatening, but it is a true emergency that needs professional care to ease pain, stabilize a condition, and prevent further damage.
It’s An Emergency When…
- One or more teeth have been broken or knocked out
- A tooth has fallen out for no obvious reason. This usually indicated gum disease.
- You experience a soft tissue injury such as cuts to your tongue, lip, cheek, or gums. This may happen due to a foreign object in the mouth, impact, or other causes.
- One of your dental restorations has been damaged or loosened. Restorations act as barriers against infection as well as restoring a tooth’s function.
- You experience severe dental pain, especially when chewing. Your teeth aren’t supposed to hurt and certainly aren’t supposed to hurt badly.
- Pain in your mouth has subsided or stopped altogether in your tooth. Generally, this is a sign that the nerve that had been reporting the pain has died.
- You’re bleeding in your mouth and you can’t stop within a reasonable amount of time. If bleeding is severe, an emergency room should be your first stop.
If you experience any of these conditions, please call one of our Laredo, TX practices at once. You can reach our Junction Drive location at 956-242-6745 or our Winfield location at 956-517-2695. (We generally don’t recommend using our online form for emergency appointments.)
How We Can Help
When we see you for your same-day or next-day appointment, we’ll initially focus on three things:
- Easing your pain by local anesthesia and/or sedation dentistry
- Effectively treating any underlying infection
- Saving your natural tooth whenever possible
We make every effort to preserve your teeth. For instance, if a tooth has broken it may be possible to bond it back together or cover it with a crown. If a tooth has been knocked out, we may be able to re-insert it into the socket where it can firmly re-root. Unfortunately, it’s not always possible to save a tooth. That’s why we also offer a number of teeth replacement options such as dental implants, dental bridges, and dentures.
Don’t Fight Through Dental Pain
Your teeth, gums, lips, tongue, and cheeks aren’t supposed to hurt. Pain is always a sign that something is wrong. Trying to tough it out may be the worst thing you can do for your health and your smile. Prompt dental care is definitely the way to go.
Some people are concerned about pain during dental treatment. That’s completely understandable – nobody likes to be in pain. At Davenport Dental Group, you’ll enjoy pain-free dentistry with dental sedation to help you relax should you need it. We also have a number of comfort options to make your experience as comfortable as possible.
If you have a dental emergency, don’t wait! Call Davenport Dental Group for an emergency appointment. Call either one of our Laredo, TX offices: Junction Drive at 956-242-6745 or Winfield at 956-517-2695. For non-emergency appointments you can use our online form.