There are things you enjoy doing, and there are things you have to do. It’s not that you hate tasks like house cleaning, so you get it done when it needs to be done. That’s just a part of life.
But for too many people, going every six months to the dentist creates too much anxiety. This is when you find reasons to skip your appointments or not call altogether. Because you absolutely need regular cleanings and exams, this will just make things worse.
Thankfully, there is a solution. Call Davenport Dental Group today at 956-242-6745 (Junction Drive) or 956-517-2695 (Winfield) and make your next appointment. Our team knows how to help you feel relaxed, from nitrous oxide to simple comfort options. But first, what are the causes of dental anxiety?
Reasons Behind The Phobia
Every person is unique, so everyone has their own triggers and causes. That said, here are a few common reasons you might have dental anxiety.
- Years since your last visit: For many people, it’s a fear of the unknown. You haven’t gotten your dentist visits done like you should, so you’re worried about what’s already wrong with your teeth. This can also make you concerned about how the dentist’s team will react when they learn it’s been that long since your last cleaning and exam.
- Your childhood experiences were rough: For a kid, the dentist’s office can be intimidating. There are all these strangers and weird sounds, and one guy wants to touch your teeth! Even though you’re an adult now, those negative experiences can get dredged up again just thinking about going.
- You are used to being in charge: When getting dental treatments, you need to sit back in the chair and let someone else do all the work. That can be hard for people used to being a parent or supervisor, as it’s you who does all the work. This role reversal can cause anxiety.
- A friend talked about their bad experience elsewhere: You can even experience anxiety over things that never happened to you. If a friend or family member described a bad time at a different dentist, that story can stick with you and cause problems.
Get Sedation Dentistry & More
Then what can you do to relieve this anxiety? Our dentists are trained in relieving dental anxiety with nitrous oxide gas. Also called laughing gas, this induces a deeply relaxed state so you can finally get the treatments you need. There are many advantages to this type of sedation, including:
- It starts working the moment you breathe it in.
- There are no anxiety-inducing injections.
- It wears off about five minutes after not using it.
- It’s safe for children to use.
- You’ll be able to drive yourself home afterwards.
And at either of our Laredo offices, you can enjoy some comfort options to help you feel better. These include televisions to watch during a treatment, blankets and pills, a team that knows how to treat you compassionately, and modern technology. And of course, local anesthesia to help you feel comfortable throughout the experience.
Call us today at 956-242-6745 (Junction Drive), 956-517-2695 (Winfield), or use our convenient online form to make a new appointment. You need to keep your smile healthy, and that means regular dental cleanings and exams. If an anxiety or phobia is getting in the way, come in for sedation and relaxation choices that can help.