The start of the school year’s approaching. Are your kids ready for another year of studying, tests, and bringing home awesome report cards? (Fingers crossed!) And now is a good time to think about the state of your kids’ teeth and gums: will their dental health make the grade? Call Davenport Dental Group of Laredo, TX to schedule appointments for your family. Reach our Junction Drive office at (956-242-6745 and our Winfield office at 956-242-6745.
Exams Aren’t Just for School
We understand that especially when the school year starts, it can be difficult to find time for dental appointments between classes, sports, music lessons, and other after-school activities. But taking care of your children’s teeth is something that will continue to pay off for the rest of their lives. It’s critical to find time to bring them in to see us every six months, no matter how hectic your days are.
At these checkups, a few important things occur:
- A deep cleaning: Even if your kids are careful brushers and flossers, there are spots and crevices they won’t be able to reach. We can remove the cavity-causing plaque and tartar that’s built up in these areas. We will then expertly polish and floss the teeth.
- An examination: One of our doctors will gently examine your child’s teeth, gums, mouth, and bite. He is looking for signs of decay, gum disease, and other issues.
- X-rays: X-rays check for problems that the doctor can’t spot, like between the teeth or under the gumline. At Davenport Dental Group, we use digital X-rays. These are more comfortable, produce better images, and expose the patient to far less radiation than traditional X-rays.
Once the checkup is over, be sure to schedule your kids’ next appointment. This way, it won’t fall through the cracks.
Protect Those Teeth!
If there were simple ways to protect your kids’ mouths from injury and disease, wouldn’t you do so? Well guess what, there are! Davenport Dental Group offers preventive treatments and products well worth considering for your children.
- Sealants: Sealants have been shown to significantly reduce children’s likelihood of getting cavities. In a quick, painless process, we prep the teeth (typically the molars and premolars), then paint on a plastic substance that creates a physical barrier against bacteria. Sealants can protect kids’ teeth for years.
- Mouthguards: For active children (and adults), athletic mouthguards help prevent injury to the teeth and gums. We can create an athletic mouthguard that’s custom made for your child so that it fits perfectly and is comfortable to wear.
- Fluoride treatments: Fluoride is a mineral that helps strengthen the enamel on your teeth, protecting it from bacteria. We offer special fluoride treatments and varnishes to give your kids’ teeth the protection they need.
Keep Up the Good Work at Home!
For strong, healthy teeth, good and oral hygiene practices at home are essential.
- Floss daily and brush at least twice each day with an ADA-approved fluoride toothpaste. Brushing should take two minutes, and be sure your child knows to get all surfaces of the teeth plus the tongue. Kids should have supervision until they can brush without swallowing toothpaste.
- Especially during the busy school year, it helps to have a consistent morning routine in place so brushing doesn’t get forgotten.
- Sticky gummy snacks and chewy granola bars get stuck in the teeth and promote bacteria growth and cavities. Other cavity culprits are juice, sports drinks, and flavored milk.
- Fresh fruits, vegetables, and other nutrient-packed foods nurture the whole body, including the teeth.
- Drinking water regularly helps wash away stuck food and keeps the mouth clean throughout the day.
- If your child buys school lunches, encourage healthy and teeth-friendly choices by going over options together.
Follow these tips, and your children will have the tools and knowledge they need to maintain healthy teeth and gums for life. Call Davenport Dental Group’s Junction Drive office at 956-517-2695 or our Winfield office at 956-242-6745 to make an appointment. Or fill out our web contact form and we will get in touch with you.