Preventive dentistry at our Winfield location in Laredo is the key to maintaining your best smile. Routine dental care can help you:
Call us today at 956-517-2695 to schedule your next dental exam. We’ll suggest products and techniques you can use for outstanding oral hygiene.
Supplement Your Dental Visits With Home Oral Hygiene
The aisle of dental products at your favorite store can seem overwhelming. To make it easier to care for your smile at home, we recommend these products, which are available in our office:
- BURST Toothbrush and Travel Kit – Enjoy advanced cleaning power with the revolutionary BURST sonic toothbrush. Take advantage of our special offer and purchase the BURST system for just $69 directly from our office. Here is why we love this toothbrush:
- 33,000 vibrations per minute for efficient cleaning and plaque removal
- Three modes so you can customize your brushing experience – Sensitive, Whitening, or Massage
- Soft, bacteria-absorbing binchotan charcoal bristles
- A pulse every 30 seconds, so you know when to switch quadrants in your mouth, to improve your brushing technique
- Automatic shutoff after two minutes
- Four weeks’ worth of brushing on a single charge, a great feature for travelers
- Option of having replacement heads shipped directly to you every three months
- Waterpik – Waterpik water flossers provide a simple and more effective way to floss. Using a stream of pressurized water instead of string floss is proven to more easily eliminate bacteria buildup between teeth and on gums.
- Fluoridex Toothpaste – If you have sensitive teeth, you may have noticed that fluoride toothpaste aggravates the problem. Yet using a fluoride-free toothpaste puts your teeth at a higher risk for cavities. Fluoridex prescription-strength toothpaste contains potassium nitrate to relieve the discomfort of sensitive teeth and fluoride to strengthen your enamel and protect against cavities.
Here’s How to Take Great Care of Your Smile at Home
Adults over the age of 35 lose more teeth to periodontal (gum) disease than to cavities. Both are caused by plaque, a film that builds up on your teeth. Here are some tips to help remove plaque from teeth:
- To brush the outer surfaces of your teeth, hold your brush at a 45-degree angle and use gentle, circular motions on each tooth. Hold the toothbrush vertically and use a back-and-forth motion to clean the inner surfaces.
- To floss, wrap about 18 inches of floss around your two middle fingers, leaving around 2 inches in the middle. Carefully slide the floss in between your teeth and gently clean the sides of each tooth with an up-and-down motion. Curve the floss around each tooth to reach just under the gumline without irritating your gum tissue. Move to a new area of floss as needed; rinse well when done.
- Watch your diet. Consuming starchy foods like cookies, breads, and crackers allows bacteria to multiply. Foods like granola bars, fruit snacks, dried fruit, and hard candy stick to teeth and give bacteria more time to produce harmful acids.
No matter how well you take care of your teeth at home, nothing replaces regular checkups. Dental cleanings and exams in our office allow us to monitor your oral health as well as remove damaging plaque and tartar from your teeth. Visit us every six months to maintain your healthiest and happiest smile.
For preventive dentistry at our Winfield location in Laredo, call 956-517-2695.